— As noted on the front page, they shot an angle on Extra yesterday with Maria Menounos, Kelly Kelly, Beth Phoenix and Eve. Apparently Eve and Beth are back on the same page after Monday. Anyway, it’s a tag match for Mania now with Maria & Kelly vs. Beth & Eve. I wonder if the Divas not on the show are going to complain in the locker room about Maria taking one of their spots.
— WWE added R-Truth to Teddy Long’s WrestleMania team.
— Linda Bollea wins a court battle versus Hulk, thought it is not the much-publicized defamation suit.
— Major League Wrestling released a MLW Digital Short this morning in memory of “Playboy” Gary Hart here. This footage was produced by Major League Wrestling as part of a viral campaign that was set to launch in March 2004 for Gary Hart’s reemergence in pro wrestling. Signing Low Ki and Homicide was just the start. Gary Hart’s Black Friday Management was an ominous force set to explode in MLW. This is a sample of what Gary Hart’s propaganda was to be. It also was slated to appear in Gary Hart, Low KI and Homicide’s MLW entrance video.
— WWE Studios’ newest film: A remake of Leprechaun. Really. They’ll be teaming with Lions Gate again, who they worked with for both See No Evil and The Condemned. Although there is a belief that See No Evil was the most successful of all the WWE Films, in fact, according to the latest company filing, both that film and Condemned lost millions ($2.9 million for See No Evil, $6.6 million for Condemned). By far, the most successful WWE film was The Marine with John Cena, which made $14.6 million — $13.9 million more than second place made. Only three WWE films have not lost seven figures.
— Today’s Calgary Herald News and Opinion section has a large photo from about 1970 of Stu Hart, Carlos Belafonte (Colon) and then Calgary mayor Rod Sykes. The article is about a rundown area near the city hall and doesn’t mention Stu at all. Thanks to Mark.
— Smackdown tonight has Chris Jericho vs. Sheamus, the return of Christian for a Peep Show with John Lauranitis and Teddy Long, which sounds hideous given the Teddy vs. John backstage debates the past few weeks, Kofi Kingston vs. David Otunga, Brie Bella vs. AJ, Cody Rhodes vs. Great Khali, Drew McIntyre vs. Big Show, and Mark Henry vs. Yoshi Tatsu.
— Lucha Libre USA released the following tour schedule:
March 23 Reno, NV- Reno Events Center March 25 Stockton, CA- Stockton Arena March 30 San Jose, CA- HP Pavilion April 13 Los Angeles, CA – Walter Pyramid at Long Beach State April 14 Fresno, CA- Selland Arena April 20 Houston, TX- Verizon Wireless Theater April 22 Dallas, TX- Mesquite Arena April 29 Phoenix Arizona – Celebrity Theatre
May 11 San Antonio, TX - Alamodome
May 12 Austin, TX - Round Rock Express
— Weird Al and John Morrison. Yes.
— Over the Top Rope Radio tonight with part 2 of the Hall of Fame discussion.
— Jim Cornette talks Battle of the Belts and more here.
A ton of lucha news from Kris Zellner
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Prince Devitt who arrived in Mexico City yesterday posing for pictures to media fanfare ready for his upcoming tour with EMLL has had to cancel after they found out he had a calf injury that is forcing him to take some time off. No word on how long he will miss time but he is off the lineups for now.
- La Familia de Tijuana (Damian 666/Bestia 666/Halloween/Super Nova/X-Fly) all decided to leave Perros del Mal mutually on Tuesday with everyone resigning their office positions and Super Nova leaving his PdM Lt. Heavyweight Title on Perrito’s desk. They are free to work anywhere they want but Halloween assured that they would work all of their contracted dates for AAA and anyone else before taking new bookings but they are open to still working with PdM as freelancers.
- In the ongoing Hijo del Santo vs. AAA trial over royalties he felt he deserved off of DVD sales from the Triplemania show he was on a couple of years ago, AAA Owner Marisela Pena pulled a power play on her birthday no less demanding that Hijo del Santo unmask if he is going to testify because she wanted to face her accuser to see if it was actually Santo under the hood since she has seen him unmasked in the past. Santo of course refused to do this and the judge wasn’t too hot on the idea but decided to postpone the case for an appeal.
- In some wacky Monterrey news, the newest gimmick to hit the Arena Coliseo de Monterrey scene is the Masters of the Universe and I’m not talking about Sid Vicious but yes, 80’s cartoon icon He-Man. No word if Skeletor will be coming after him but he will be teaming with Batman and I’m not talking about Tony Marino for you longtime WWWF Pittsburgh fans.
- WWE is coming back to Mexico in May but only for a couple of dates as they are scaling back right now just doing shows on 5/25 in Aguascalientes and 5/26 in Guadalajara. The lack of shows in Mexico City is interesting.
Which of these upcoming UFC shows are you most interested in? Brazil - Sonnen vs. Silva 50.1%
Las Vegas - all heavyweight show 32.1%
Atlanta - Jones vs. Evans 17.6%
What best describes your interest level in WWE right now? Still interested, but bad shows have turned me off 41.5% As high as it has ever been 14.5% Was a fan, but have lost complete interest 12.3% Still interested, not as much because too many shows and hard to keep up with 9.4% Have lost interest over the years due to too many tragedies ignored 9.4% Still interested, but not as much because friends have lost interest 6.1% Lost interest due to lack of strong competitive promotion 5.7%
Never really that interested 1.0%
Never was interested but have just gotten interested 0.1%
If Nick Diaz gets a six month suspension and is available in August, should UFC book him against Condit right away? No, he lost the match to determine who got GSP and they are only giving him a second chance because they didn’t get the result they wanted 62.2%